what do you get when you take a little girl from korea, adopt her at 5 months, and raise her in a white family?
me. here are my profound thoughts. enjoy them.


Tuesday, August 10, 2004

demoted

so ive given almost 6 years of my soul to HEB and what did i get to do today? push in baskets...during the flood. yeah it all started when i had my windows cracked in my car so i ran out to roll them up. i come back and my manager is like, 'since youre already kinda wet...would you mind helping mark push in baskets??' hmm...no. then she said that they would give me a dry shirt when i came in and that i could probably just go home early bc id be wet etc. so i realized that i really didnt have a choice in the matter so i just said 'fine' and went outside. it wasnt raining too bad at first. just when i was thinking that, it started monsooning. within about a minute i was soaked to my skin...and i was wading around the parking lot gathering baskets. i started to wonder if this was their way of demoting me. oh, then it started thundering...and then there was lightning. mark was like, 'hmm..pushing in metal baskets while lightning is touching down..i dont want to die at heb!' yeah...me either. then they made another guy help us out so luckily we finished faster. so then we all went into the store...leaving a trail of water wherever we went. everyone looked at us as though they had never been rained on before. my manager handed me an heb nightgown. it was that big...but hey, it was dry, right? so i changed into it but then i wondered where he got it bc it smelled like they had just asked a sweaty worker to take it off so they could give it to me. he promised me it was clean, but i think its still questionable. oh, remember how my manager had said that i would probably get to go home? lies...all lies. none of us got to go home. the poor guys just had to let their undershirts dry a bit and then put their workshirts over them. note that our pants and shoes are still all soaking wet. they had to put mats where we were standing bc we were leaving puddles if we stayed in one place for too long. i luckily got to go home the earliest outta us three. one guy wasnt supposed to get off till 7. it was one when we pushed in carts. 6 hours in wet clothes...thats pleasant. he'll probably get pneumonia and die. ok probably not, but what if? so that was my exciting day at heb. its just such an exciting job...maybe tomorrow theyll let me be the maintenance person..then ill really know im getting demoted...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home