what do you get when you take a little girl from korea, adopt her at 5 months, and raise her in a white family?
me. here are my profound thoughts. enjoy them.


Tuesday, June 20, 2006

the birds and the bees

so here's a story from the weekend. and it has to do with my family. my nephew berkeley is 6 and he's starting to learn about his body. and evidently last week he was obsessed with my sister's (his mom's) boobs. not like in a gross way, but in a, im 6, curious, and dont know any better, type of way...i guess...i didnt ask for details. so anyways, my sister got him some kids books from the library about body parts and boys and girls etc. so i guess my mom is over at her house and my sister is showing her the books before she gives them to berkeley. well my mom is like, maybe when berkeley is done with these you can give them to kate because we never really went over that stuff with her. my sister says, um im pretty sure kate has figured it out by now. of course my mom was joking about giving me the books but its true that we never got to have "the talk." and honestly i feel quite blessed to have avoided that morbidly embarrassing time with my parents. funny that they were quite aware that they left me in the dark though. i guess they assumed i would figure out all i needed to know from friends, movies, and whatever else and just prayed it wouldnt be personal experience. and now, working at the medical institute for sexual health i have definitely heard and seen it all and have become quite desensitized to everything. so i guess in the end it all balanced out, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home