what do you get when you take a little girl from korea, adopt her at 5 months, and raise her in a white family?
me. here are my profound thoughts. enjoy them.


Wednesday, July 26, 2006

being asian 101

so i could talk about being asian for days. benefits, disadvantages, pros, cons, etc. in college i even came up with a whole monologue about it...it was intended to be humorous but i could see it coming off as halfway offensive in writing. and not like i totally rip on asians...i mean i kinda do, but i am asian myself so that makes it ok right? yeah...well...maybe save that for a rainy day...ill have to ponder how well received that would be.

but anyways, on to what i actually meant to talk about. everyone likes being remembered, yes? it's great when someone is like "i was at that restaurant you love and thought about you" or "i saw the cutest dress and it looked just like you." well, i get statements like these all the time. except they're more like, "i ate chinese food and thought of you" or "i saw this asian kid on the street and thought of you" or "i saw memoirs of a geisha and thought of you." what prompted me to discuss this was a text message i got today from my good friend jax. it went a little like this: "just saw an asian monkey and thought about you." and although i hope it wasn't a physical resemblance that made her think of me, it still made me laugh. and i guess in my mind it's better to be remembered for things that have absolutely nothing to do with me than to not be remembered at all, right?

so next time you're eating at zen, watching rush hour, or playing badminton, i hope you think of me. and then tell me because that's half the fun.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm guilty...but i think that i think of you in asian ways and non-asian ways. for example, i told you the other day that you were a SWF and couldn't figure out why you were arguing with me...so obviously your race came as an afterthought in that conversation. then again, that has only happened once...but hey, better than never!

ps. that's two comments in one week. watch out, world!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home