what do you get when you take a little girl from korea, adopt her at 5 months, and raise her in a white family?
me. here are my profound thoughts. enjoy them.


Friday, September 08, 2006

are you there God, it's me kate...

remember that book? well, it was margaret, not kate but still. it was popular back in elem school i think... anyways, not the point. and im also not saying that i don't think God is around. He obviously is but honestly sometimes i put Him in a box and kick it in my closet. not intentionally.

however, this morning God reminded me He's around. i just took an order over the phone from this real nice guy. i can't remember if he said he was a pastor or a teacher at a Christian school. anyways, he was having trouble placing the order so i was walking him thru it. as we were doing that he started some small talk - asking me about texas, where i went to school, how i liked the company, my job, whether or not i felt like i would be there long term. and maybe it's not professional to tell your customer that you don't like your job but he seemed safe. i didn't say anything bad about the company. in fact i said it was a great company, that they had been good to me, but it was just time for me to find something else. he was understanding and told me that the Lord has a plan for me etc.. and it wasn't what he was saying that was necessarily profound or really affected me. it was the fact that we strangers 5 minutes prior but that didn't stop him from taking time to talk to me, hear my story, and encourage me. he has 3 kids around my age and told me what they were doing and how the Lord was working in their lives. then he asked if he could pray for me. i said sure. so he did, right then on the phone. and normally that would kinda weird me out (i don't know why but it just would), but again i was so impressed/touched by the gesture that instead of being weirded out, i was truly appreciative.

so theres a couple of things i took from this. first, it was just an encouragement bc ive started this whole process of job searching and it's annoying and tedious and at times overwhelms me with feelings of hopelessness. but to have a complete stranger pray for you is pretty cool. another thing was this guy in general and his character. the ease he had in talking to me led me to believe that this wasn't like a once in a lifetime thing he did. he probably meets new people all the time and prays for them. and if you ask me, that's pretty dang respectable. and im not saying im going to go stop every stranger i meet and pray for them. however it probably wouldn't hurt for me, and maybe you, to get a little bit out of my comfort zone once in a while. and thirdly, and this is completely random, but last nite i went to a free dave barnes show at hyde park church. i went to check the order the guy placed and saw his name...david barnes. obviously im not saying that it was the same guy since dave barnes doesnt live in cali nor does he have 3 kids. but talk about a coincidence huh?

in other news its friday and that is maybe the most fantastic thing EVER.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home